Vietnam Veterans of America  

The VVA Veteran® Online  
  homepipeAboutpipeArchivepipeSubscribepipeContactpipevva.orgVVA gifFacebookContact    

-
July/August 2021 -   -  

LONG-TERM EFFECTS

Kudos to David Biggs for “After the Bases Closed,” a well-written article on the aftermath of our involvement in Vietnam. I ETS’ed out a few scant months before the ’72 Easter Offensive really began.

His map of U.S. bombing missions in the area my battalion worked in got my attention. I didn’t need to put in my hearing aids to bring back what the sounds and ground tremors of each one of those dots represented.

Being a grunt, my only thought is: If other colored dots had additionally plotted artillery missions, readers would have had a clearer idea of the devastation, as well as the infiltration routes of the NVA.

I have been back a few times doing volunteer work, mostly in I Corps, and have seen the hard work that has been done by the Vietnamese in rebuilding their country, as well as the results of undetonated ordnance and genetic problems in children.

It will take generations to truly get their country back, as Biggs points out.

The altered genes that the Vietnamese—as well as American veterans and their allies—are passing to future generations is added proof that the Vietnam War was not just about the Boots on the Ground generation, but is much, much larger. Just as returning veterans from the Middle East will not be the only ones to reap the devastation of our involvement in the Wars on Terror.

John Gordon
By Email

PRESUMPTIONS

Marc Leepson’s article, “Accounting for the Dead,” in the last issue lists 32 who are “presumed dead, body remains recovered.” I don’t understand. Please explain.

Dave Crosby
By Email

The Presumed Dead, Body Remains Recovered category—which the U.S. military no longer uses—refers to an individual who was missing in action and presumed dead, and whose remains were later recovered, but the remains could not be identified through DNA analysis or any other means.

The Presumed Dead, Body Remains Not Recovered category—also no longer used—refers to an individual missing in action and presumed dead, but whose physical, or “body,” remains were not recovered. In these cases, it was possible that an article of clothing or personal item such as a helmet, boot, wristwatch, or dog tags belonging to the missing serviceperson was found. An example would be a plane crash witnessed by troops on the ground in which no parachutes were seen and when search teams reached the crash site no body parts or other physical remains were found, but the pilot’s service revolver was discovered in the debris. —Editor

UXOS IN SE ASIA

My congratulations to David Biggs for his article “After the Bases Closed,” in which he outlined the issues that remain after the U.S. abandoned the war in Vietnam. I was particularly taken by the map that showed the bombing density of the more than 256,000 tons of bombs dropped between March and October 1972.

Biggs didn’t mention the Secret War that was being fought in Laos. The U.S. dropped more than 2 million tons of bombs on Laos during 580,000 bombing missions—equal to a planeload of bombs every 8 minutes, 24 hours a day, for 9 years—making it the most heavily bombed country per capita in history.

This was a covert war. The highly secret missions flown by the units I served with in Nakhon Phanom and Udorn were almost exclusively dedicated to stopping the traffic from North Vietnam supplying their invasion of the South.

Unfortunately, the mission turned out to be moot when the U.S. pulled out in 1972. Even more unfortunate was the some 288 million cluster munitions and about 75 million unexploded bombs (UXOs) that were left across Laos after the war ended. Since the fighting ended, these UXOs have killed over 20,000 people and maimed many more.

After relations were established with Laos in 1995, efforts to defuse or disarm these munitions began. Legacies of War has lobbied Congress to establish funding for de-mining UXOs. The Obama and Trump administrations committed $40 million a year toward de-mining, and it is expected to go forward under the current administration. The land needs to be cleared not just to prevent further deaths and harm, but also to clear the land for agriculture, the primary economy of Laos. From 1996-2009, more than 23,000 hectares of land were cleared. 

Laos remains a poor nation with little of the resources developed by Vietnam, but organizations such as Legacies of War, Mines Advisory Group, and HALO continue to work with the Laotian government to repair the damage done to the country. I encourage readers to look into and support these organizations.

Mike Burton
By Email

A SONG OF RECOGNITION

I’m a survivor of the U.S.S. Frank E. Evans collision and want to thank you for the piece you did on us along with your article, “Accounting for the Dead.” I didn’t realize we were in the magazine until I read it today. Thank you so much.

In 2019 for the 50th anniversary I wrote a song called “Recognition” to honor our lost 74, and I released it on an album of the same name. In May 2019, my wife and I drove cross-country to attend the 50th anniversary ceremonies and ship reunion in Long Beach, Calif., which turned into a seven-week grassroots tour singing my song and telling our story at VFWs, American Legions, and small venues.

Just this month I released a music video of the song, which you can listen to here. I just wanted to share it with you.

Bill Thibeault
By Email

We reviewed Louise Esola’s American Boys: The True Story of the Lost 74 of the Vietnam War in our online Books in Review II page. Esola wrote the cover story for the July/August 2015 issue, “The Continuing Tragedy of the U.S.S. Frank E. Evans,” and a follow-up in the November/December 2018 issue, “Recognition Denied: The Ongoing Saga of the U.S.S. Frank E. Evans.” —Editor

FREE LIFE INSURANCE

I was reading the article by Pete Peterson, “Widows Need DD-214s,” and was not aware of the availability of a free death insurance policy as a permanently and totally disabled veteran.

I have never been told about this. Can I still get it?

Len Matula
By Email

Thank you for your question. All disabled veterans are authorized to apply for VA Life Insurance. When you receive your award letter showing that you have a 100 percent Permanent and Total rating, an application for insurance is included in the packet. You must apply for the insurance within the two-year period if you want the premium waiver. Further information can be found on the VA website. Once on the site, go to “(S-DVI) Life Insurance.” —Pete Peterson 

A GOOD READ

I enjoyed the Speak Out! by Larry Reid in the last issue, especially his reference to casualties in May ’68. I was in the support element of my unit, Military Assistance Command Vietnam Studies and Observations Group (MACVSOG, or just SOG), a highly classified, multi-service, special ops unit.

Our Special Forces recon units, consisting of American and indigenous troops, ran clandestine missions in Vietnam, as well as in neighboring countries. In May 1968 SOG recon casualties exceeded 100 percent: Every SOG recon man was wounded at least once, and about half were killed. What always amazed me is that these brave (maybe a bit crazy), wonderful SOG warriors kept coming back to run these highly dangerous missions.

There have been very entertaining and informative books written by former members of SOG, including John K. Singlaub, who was the commander when I arrived in 1968. His book, Hazardous Duty: An American Soldier in the Twentieth Century, recounts his service as a founding member of the CIA, as a World War II OSS operative, his service in Korea, as the SOG commander in Vietnam, and in later years, his involvement in the controversial Iran-Contra Affair.

John Stryker “Tilt” Meyer wrote Across the Fence: The Secret War in Vietnam, as well as On the Ground: The Secret War in Vietnam and SOG Chronicles, Vol 1.

Billy Waugh was awarded eight Purple Hearts. At 71 while working for the CIA, Waugh was in Afghanistan chasing Bin Laden and killing Taliban fighters. His book, Hunting the Jackal, chronicles his work tracking the international terrorist Carlos the Jackal.

I may have missed it, but I don’t recall any of these books being reviewed in our magazine. They make interesting reading about real heroes in action.

Gary L. Daugherty
By Email

Since 1986 our goal has been to review all newly published books that deal with the Vietnam War and its veterans. We’ve reviewed at least 2,500 books, including nearly 1,500 on our online Books in Review II page. We inevitably miss some books, although we did review Meyer’s Across the Fence on Books in Review II on June 22, 2017. —Editor

AVVA’S PAPER SAFE

I was very excited to read Pete Peterson’s article in the last issue. I want to thank him for recognizing the Associates of Vietnam Veterans of America and our Paper Safe when he wrote about the documents that families need to have at the time of their veterans’ passing.

The Paper Safe continues to be one of the most successful and longest-running AVVA programs. It has been available for almost twenty years, with yearly re-printings to keep up with the demand. The Paper Safe is an estate planning guide and reservoir for documents such as VA and medical reports, passwords, wills, DD-214s, insurance policies, and banking information. It was designed with the veteran’s family in mind so that when that dreaded day arrives, the family can locate all the documentation needed for military honors, funeral arrangements, burial at a National Cemetery, etc. There is no charge for the Paper Safe. Our only request is that you help with postage if you are able.

To order, go to www.avva.org, click on “Programs” then on “Paper Safe,” and fill out the order form. Feel free to email me at switzer3@frontiernet.net or call 585-737-2169 with any questions.

AVVA continues to assist veterans and their families by working together, developing educational programs, and offering the Paper Safe.

Nancy S. Switzer
AVVA Founding President
Rochester, New York

STOLEN

I just received the May/June issue, and would like to set the record straight about Chapter 594 moving the Southwest Florida Vietnam Veterans Memorial to Cape Coral, across the bridge from the original location in Fort Myers. Having worked on that memorial from the beginning through the 11 years it took to realization and dedication, they should not be getting praise for their theft. 

The memorial was designed specifically for its original location on a site with trees and vegetation on two sides, a pond on the third, and a dramatic walkway with a row of flags. The original location is on historic McGregor Blvd., the street where Thomas Edison and Henry Ford had winter estates. The idea to move it was first raised when a member heard about a proposed roundabout that might take the memorial’s site.

Chapter 594 had no right to steal the memorial for ECO Park. It was dedicated to the citizens of Southwest Florida in 2008. Once it was put in place, the site became sacred and while the chapter deserves a pat on the back for its creation, it was not a property that the chapter could do with as it pleased. 

So let’s set the record straight. They have moved the memorial to a site on the edge of a major highway right-of-way, with no visual or sound barrier from the traffic and the noise it generates. It is crammed into a narrow strip between the access road and the right-of-way. The engraved panels that had been placed on mounts are now on the ground. It’s a crowded, shrunken memorial crammed into a lousy location. And ECO Park is gated with access prohibited at night.

A memorial belongs to all the people, not just those in a specific location, and no group should ever even consider moving one unless it is to save it from destruction. Rather than spend the thousands it took to move it, why couldn’t they have designed their own memorial better suited to that location? The dominant feature of ECO Park is the Iwo Jima Memorial. At its original location, our memorial was the dominant feature. Now it has been relegated to being just another display in ECO Park. Lee County Chapter 594, shame on you.

Craig Tonjes
By Email

BASIC

Robert Cour in the May/June “Locator” requested info to get a basic training photo from Ft. Ord in 1963.

The website togetherweserved.com posts basic training photos. The email for Mr. Cour did not work.

Johnny Dawkins
By Email

ANOTHER OPTION

It’s so good to be getting The VVA Veteran back in circulation and in the mail box. I read it cover to cover, then as always passed it on.

There’s an option to visiting the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in D.C.: Visit Missouri’s National Veterans Memorial in Perryville. It’s just south of St. Louis on Interstate 55. For details, go to mnvmfund.org

Dave Reinheimer
By Email

We also encourage readers to review Loana Hoylman’s article, “The Sister Wall,” in the July/August 2019 issue. —Editor

CX: In the May/June article, “Accounting for the Dead: The Wall and Shifting Casualty Classifications,” we wrote that 340 names have been added to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial since it was dedicated in 1982. That figure was provided by the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund, which is responsible for adding the names. However, VVMF learned after the issue was published that the actual number is 281. We have made the correction in the online edition.

printemailshare

-July/August 2021May/June 2021March/April 2021
January/February 2021November/December 2020September/October 2020
July/August 2020May/June 2020March/April 2020
January/February 2020November/December 2019September/October 2019
July/August 2019May/June 2019March/April 2019
January/February 2019November/December 2018September/October 2018
---
-Archives
2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016
| 2014 | 2013 | 2012
| 2010 | 2009 | 2008
| 2006 | 2005 | 2004
| 2002 | 2001 | 2000

----Find us on Facebook-Online Only:Arts of War on the Web
Book in Brief-
-

Ron Aldridge

Basic Training Photo Gallery
Basic Training Photo Gallery
2013 & 2014 APEX® Award Winner

Departments     University of Florida Smathers Libraries  
  - -      

VVA logoThe VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring, MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us

Geoffrey Clifford Mark F. Erickson Chuck Forsman