Vietnam Veterans of America  

The VVA Veteran® Online  
  homepipeAboutpipeArchivepipeSubscribepipeContactpipevva.orgVVA gifFacebookContact    

-
Treasurer’s Report, July/August 2022 -   -  

Taking Care of Business

The rebates from the Life Membership Fund were distributed by mid-May. A tip of the cap to everyone who made that happen, including Anthony Powell, Debra Johnson, and the Finance team at the National office for making this timely response to our states and chapters.

The annual audit of VVA’s Fiscal Year is being conducted by Mullins P.C. of Bethesda, Maryland. A majority of the audit has been completed. However, the auditors have submitted requests for additional information before the final report can be completed.

VVA staff has been attentive to the process and reports there are no red flags. I hope to have the completed audit available for review by the next scheduled meeting of the Board of Directors.

With the large turnover of VVA leaders and staff, policies regarding the use of our corporate credit cards were reviewed. Consequently, we will be requiring justification for issuing any new credit cards. Additionally, we have issued new credit cards as an additional security measure.

On the subject of credit cards, I have asked our Director of Finance, Anthony Powell, to keep an eye on the Federal Reserve’s predicted increase of interest rates on credit cards and any ramifications this would have for VVA.

Through the magic of Zoom and Ring Central, I have been able to participate in meetings with VVA Officers, Finance Committee Chair Dottie Barickman, and the members of the committee. I appreciate the effort invested in person-to-person communications. I believe we have a shared goal of open and frequent communications and “No one left in the dark.” This does take time, dedication, and a just-the-facts attitude.

I especially want to thank Dottie Barickman for her leadership. The committee is following and researching the future of the VVA Life Member Fund, the review and revision of Finance Policies and Procedures, and the financials of the Veterans Health Council. More to follow on those issues.

TOM COREY

I am honored to say that Tom Corey was a friend of mine. He was first elected to the VVA Board of Directors in 1985 and quickly ascended to VVA leadership roles, including five terms as Secretary (1987-97), two as Vice President (1997-2010, and two as President (2001-05). Although he was confined to a wheelchair due to injuries sustained in Vietnam, he was a long-time leader of the veteran community, a force to be reckoned with, and a dynamic voice for the needs of veterans and their families.

Thinking of where we started and where VVA is now, I realized that a great deal of our progress often goes unnoticed to our members because we are so busy planning our next battles for veterans and their families. Although I am not one who thinks VVA rests on our collective laurels, looking back, I think we have an exceptional list of credits. Realizing this is not a complete list, we do need to take the time to savor these accomplishments.

-LEAVE NO VETERAN BEHIND
-POW/MIA RECOGNITION
-NO MORE UKNOWN SOLDIERS
-END OF THE DRAFT
-RECOGNITION OF PTSD AS A LEGITIMATE AFTERMATH OF WAR
-VET CENTERS
-AGENT ORANGE (USAFHS) WHERE ARE WE NOW (CHILDREN)-
-GENDER SPECIFIC HEALTH CARE FOR WOMEN VETERANS
-JUDICIAL REVIEW
-COMMUNITY-BASED CLINICS
-MILITARY SEXUAL TRAUMA
-HAVE YOU EVER SERVED?
-CAREGIVER ACT, AGING VETERAN POPULATION
-BURNPITS and HAZARDOUS EXPOSURES
-HOMELESS VETERANS
-STANDDOWNS

When I thought of Tom Corey and VVA, the refrain from a favorite song, “American Anthem,” came to mind:

“Let them say of me I was one who believed/ In sharing the blessings I received/ Let me know in my heart/When my days are through America America/ I gave my best to you.”

Rest easy, Tom. We have the watch and we are still finding ways to give.

printemailshare

-May/June 2022March/April 2022January/February 2022November/December 2021September/October 2021July/August 2021May/June 2021March/April 2021January/February 2021November/December 2020September/October 2020July/August 2020May/June 2020March/April 2020January/February 2020November/December 2019September/October 2019July/August 2019
---
-Archives
2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016
| 2014 | 2013 | 2012
| 2010 | 2009 | 2008
| 2006 | 2005 | 2004
| 2002 | 2001 | 2000

----Find us on Facebook-Online Only:Arts of War on the Web
Book in Brief-
-

Basic Training Photo Gallery
Basic Training Photo Gallery
2013 & 2014 APEX® Award Winner

Departments     University of Florida Smathers Libraries  
  - -      

VVA logoThe VVA Veteran® is a publication of Vietnam Veterans of America. ©All rights reserved.
8719 Colesville Road, Suite 100, Silver Spring, MD 20910 | www.vva.org | contact us

Geoffrey Clifford Mark F. Erickson Chuck Forsman